Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing #15 Wikis

The more I work with wikis the more I like them and the more I regret all the past time spent building a classroom website from scratch.  I created a wiki for a church project this morning using PBWiki. It took a couple of hours, and even though it isn't anything flashy, it does have a lot information. I had problems inserting images, but I'll work on that some tomorrow. I ran into a couple other problems, that I need to figure out, but overall it was pretty easy and some of the members of my church group have already emailed me to let me know that they have made changes.  I was so impressed with that. 
I love that wikis allow the author to open up the site for editing and revision to readers. How cool would it be to post a passage on your wiki site and have students login in and revise and edit it? Or set up a page of math problems for students to solve using the "edit" button. I wonder if there is a way to force the wiki to revert to an original page once the student logs out?
One thing is for sure though, once you open up your publications for revision by the masses, you have to relinquish a lot of control. What a great step towards "Guide on the Side".
Here's the link to the church wiki I created this morning:

2 comments:

Debbie said...

It looks like your cookbook project is cookin! If you don't want people to see the URL for the pages to view, you can hight light the page name and click the link button to insert that URL. That way you will just see the page name. Jsut a suggestion...

AMSHisteacher said...

I think it's wonderful that you were willing to take it to the next level and begin your own wiki.

I'm looking into creating a classroom wiki or blog. I'm just not sure which yet.

Good luck with your cookbook.