Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing #11 Finding Good Feeds

The easiest way I found to locate good RSS feeds is to follow the experts. I went to the Edublogs' award winners list and just browsed.  There are plenty of blogs out there about "technology and education" and there are certain names to follow in this field that keep me busy with there daily postings. So I decided to search for Lhasa Apso feeds to get a new perspective on the blog searching experience. 
Feedster wouldn't open.
Google Blog Search was quick and easy but gave more hits than I could handle, so I narrowed my search by adding "training" and some of the blogs that came up weren't really what I had in mind...... But still, I found a couple to subscribe to.
Topix.net didn't really fit my needs at the time, since it searches news feeds but I did look at it, and liked how it is organized. I suppose it would be okay if you are looking for some obscure news story, but really there are so many news sources out there, I'm not sure this would be my first stop.
Syndic8 wouldn't open.
Technorati was a neat site. When I searched Lhasa Apso it gave a page full of stuff. A bit overwhelming at first but then I noticed four tabs "Posts, Blogs, Photos, Video". I liked how the hits were categorized. 
Overall, I liked Google Blog Search the best, just because it was simple to search and simple to view. But Technorati comes in a close second because of the way the results are organized. I was disappointed that two of the sites were not active and were a waste of time trying to figure out if it was a site error or a problem on my end or whatever.....
One of the things I found very interesting was that lots of the blogs I came across were Blogger sites. I also found it very helpful when the blogger posted a links list in the sidebar. Definitely something to think about as I am building my own blog site.
 

No comments: