Sunday, June 22, 2008

Thing #4 Commenting is Important

I have typically been just a blog lurker, on the outside just peeking in from time to time. Thank goodness for the other 10% of bloggers who have kept the machine going. Without the ability to comment, blogs would be one dimensional, like watching t.v. or listening to the radio. Blogging allows readers the opportunity to have conversations, learn from one another, and to build relationships. This sense of community and interaction is only possible when readers are willing to comment. 

My favorite article was ProBlogger's 10 Techniques to Get More Comments on Your Blog the suggestions provided were not dissimilar to normal, everyday communication skills that one one should use in  ftf (face-to-face) conversation. The author instructs bloggers to "Invite comments, ask questions, be humble and gracious." A comment I found very interesting about blogging is to leave open ended comments for your readers to reflect and comment on. Most of my favorite blogs are written by experts in the field of education, particularly technology in elementary schools. It can be very intimidating to comment on a blog that seems to be perfectly written and appears to "have all the answers". Writing blogs in an open-ended fashion is a skill that takes time and practice to master, but I think allowing collaboration and creativity among your readers is a benefit well worth working towards.
Brown's Thoughts  The Ten Commandments of Blog Commenting pointed out that one should contribute often, leaving comments that add value to the discussion. I think this is important not only for the sake of the blog itself, but also for developing one's own blogging style. The more you blog, the more confidently you contribute, the better you will become at it.

The five 23 Things blogs I have chosen to read and comment on throughout this experience are:
1. Technocricket, because the blogger, Debbie Bailey is a fellow ETF and I think I can learn alot from reading her posts.
2. TLC Crickets Corner, another technology facilitator I'd like to learn from.
3. A W.M.C. View seems like a neat person I would like to get to know better.
4. Coach D's Corner
5. mborden
The two other of my choice are:
6. Moving at the Speed of Creativity by Wes Fryer because he is a leader in Web2.0 in the classroom. I may change my mind on using this blog just because it is so well known I may not be up to commenting on it just yet.... We'll see.
7. The Blue Skunk - by Doug Johnson, returning to my librarian roots.
8. Dogs Training Blog - I left a response to a question about house breaking an 8 wk old Lhasa Apso. 

Comments by me have include:
I've added words of agreement or interest to my fellow 23 Thingsters' blogs. I responded to a post about making yourself hard to replace on your campus.

2 comments:

tlc said...

Thank you so much for modeling such great blogging techniques. I am working on Thing #4 and just by reading your postings and comments I have seen in action the benefits of appropriate blogging etiquette!

It is interesting to read others favorite blog sites and why. I think that as you read a persons blog you can get a sense or idea of who and what that person is about, if they share truthfully.

I can see so many great benefits for this tool in the classroom and for the students to express who they are in a non threatening way.
It gives them a voice to what is important to them.

Cricket's Corner

Debbie said...

Great post on commenting! I read on a blog that you are either on the playing field or being a spectator. I sometimes like just being the spectator and watching and learning from others. As for your request for an "educational blog maybe with a library focus", try the Blue Skunk
He's interesting to read and has strong focus on technology too.