Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thing #1 Habits of Highly Effective Learners

Hi Friends,
Some of you reading this remember me from my Librarian days. When I first heard about Learning 2.0 and the 23 things, I thought it sounded really interesting and I wanted to know more about it. So, here I am trying to catch up and looking forward to learning with you all.
When I was a little girl my grandma called me "Nosy Rosy", obviously my curiosity was undervalued:) I love learning new things, especially about people. Habit #6, "Using technology to your advantage" is definitely a strength of mine. These days I don't know what I would do without my laptop and the Internet or podcasts w/ RSS. Back when I was a kid I actually enjoyed watching PBS documentaries and, brace yourselves, this is going to shock some of you, when I first became a librarian, I couldn't believe all the videos we had! I actually took stacks of SVE videos home to watch just because ...... I think habit #6 needs to be broadened to "Using multimedia to your advantage". 
The habit I really need to work on though is habit #1 "Setting and Defining Learning Goals". I tend to go about learning in a haphazard kind of way and when I've learned just enough to answer one or two questions, I move on to another topic. I think I would find a lot of gratification in deep knowledge of topics, but I need to set and define learning goals and then commit to achieving them.
I think now it is appropriate for me to set a learning goal and so my current learning goal is to complete the 23 things.
This is going to be fun stuff!!!

2 comments:

Phil said...

Learning Something New

I really envy your apparent strength and love of using technology. I feel like I just invented the wheel and don't really know how to use it. Technology is moving so fast that I feel technology illiterate. Even this class is challenging me more than I like. I too hope you enjoy this class and maybe we can all have some fun together.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the use of technology but I am not as savy as you. I too have a problem of just learning what I need then moving on. Later, I find out I missed some things. This class seems really interesting and allows us to learn and play at the same time. Yea!